Patent Registration in the Dominican Republic – Patenting Products or Inventions.
Almost every serious company has some valuable property worth protecting, such as the new technical solutions. To protect them properly, together with all kinds of inventions, it is essential to adopt a proper step for the registration of a patent.
In the official agency of industrial property Protectia, we have an exhaustively experience and a great team of professionals specialized in every aspect of the matter. They will be able to assess the specific needs of every single case and adjust it to the different ways and international agreements, in order to guarantee our clients quality assessment and efficient management throughout all the process of registration and defence of the patent.
Patent registration in the Dominican Republic: the process
The administrative authority of industrial property in the Dominican Republic, which has, among others, the responsibility to register patents of inventions is the National Office of Industrial Property (ONAPI, in Spanish).
The process for the registration of a patent in the Dominican Republic has various steps:
- Filing of the application to the ONAPI, complete with all the necessary documentation and the payment of respective fee.
- Formal examination. After the application, the Office shall undertake a formal review of the documents, proving that the application is clear and correctly presented.
- Publication of the application, within 18 months, and payment of the respective fees. This moment opens a 60 working days period for oppositions. If oppositions are filed, opens a period to discuss it; otherwise, if there is no oppositions, the ONAPI shall perform a final exam and decide rather to grant or deny the patent.
- Application for patentability examination. Note that for the process of registration of a patent in Peru is necessary to apply for this test, which can be done within 6 months from the date of publication, and can be performed even in case of objections
- Substantive examination, it determines the patentability of the invention.
- Granting of the patent. Once the exam is passed and if this is positive, the ONAPI shall issue the respective title of the invention.
Would you like to register a patent in the Dominican Republic?CONTACT US
The average duration for a patent process in the Dominican Republic goes from 3 to 4 years, depending on the specifics of the cases. The patent of invention will be valid for a no-extendible period of 20 years, starting from the date of application. To keep the patent in force, the applicant shall pay annual fees; the first payment must be performed on the second anniversary counted from the date of the application. Subsequent payments must be made each year on the same date, taking a six-month grace period from the expiration.
Why choosing Protectia for the registration of a patent in Dominican Republic?
- Legal advice and patentability study: in Protectia, as a prior step and part of our advice, we always recommend our clients to perform a preliminary study of patentability, essential to detect the existence of prior rights and to be sure that the invention meets the all the requirements to be patented.
- Resources and experience: we have powerful informatics resources along with the expertise of our professional, essential to advise, develop and manage the protection of inventions in the Dominican Republic.
- Personal treatment: in Protectia we support our clients in a completely personalized way throughout all the process of patent registration.