Nowadays, given the globalization of the markets and the fact that most businesses export their products, the protection of their image and the one of the company itself became increasingly important on an international level.
A very effective way to solve this situation within the European Union is through the Community Trademark registration. It offers several benefits that we are going to detail below:
- The prices for the registration of a Community Trademark are low.
- In just one procedure the application is extended to all UE countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Romania and Sweden.
- It is possible to include up to three classes of the International Classification of trademarks at the same price.
- The process is fast, if there are no objections (risk that can be minimized with a trademark viability study), trademark is granted in about 8 months from the date of the application.
- In case of oppositions, the Community Trademark Office (OHIM) contacts the parties to reach an agreement and to solve the opposition in a friendly way. With the latest developments in the process, it also appears the mediator figure.
- The resolution of oppositions follows the criteria “loser pays”, that is, if an opposition is filed and is dismissed the costs must be paid. As a result, most of the opposition filed are well founded.
For all these reasons, Community Trademarks registration is the most recommended method if you are interested in protecting trademarks in two or more countries of the European Union.