Patent Registration in Guatemala – Patenting Products or Inventions.
An essential part of any business strategy is the need to protect Intellectual Property. Moreover, the benefits generated by the monopoly rights guaranteed through an action of patent registration might be very high.
In Protectia we have an exhaustively experience and a great team of professionals specialized in every aspect of the matter. They will be able to assess the specific needs of every single case and adjust it to the different ways and international agreements, in order to guarantee our clients quality assessment and efficient management throughout all the process of registration and defence of the patent.
Patent registration in Guatemala: the process
The process for a patent in Guatemala usually goes though the following steps:
- Filing of the application, complete with all the documentation needed and the payment of the respective fees.
- Formal examination. After the application, within 1 month the Institute shall undertake a formal review of the documents, proving that the application is clear and correctly filed.
- Publication of the Edict in the Official Journal within 18 months from the application.
- Substantive examination. Once achieved the deadline for filing objections, a substantive examination is performed in order to determine the novelty of the invention.
- Granting of the patent: once passed the substantive examination, there is a 2 months term for the publication of the granting and the payment of the fees for the issuing of the title.
Would you like to register a patent in Guatemala?CONTACT US
The average duration for a patent process in Guatemala goes from 3 to 4 years, depending on the specifics of the cases, and is valid for a non-extendible period of 20 years. Besides, during the 20 years, annual payments must be done for the maintenance of the patent´s rights.
Why choosing Protectia for the registration of a patent in Guatemala?
A registered patent grants the exclusive rights to use such invention. In Protectia we are specialists in this kind of service, and our agency is distinguished by several factors:
- Personal treatment: in Protectia we support our clients in a completely personalized way throughout all the process of registration: from the application and defence to the granting.
- Resources and experience: we have powerful informatics resources along with the expertise of our professional, ideals to advise, develop and manage the protection of inventions in Guatemala.
- Legal advice and patentability study: In Protectia, as a prior step and part of our advice, we always recommend our clients to perform a preliminary study of patentability, essential to detect the existence of prior rights and to be sure that the invention meets the all the requirements to be patented.