To protect in the right way both the new technical solutions and any kind of invention, it is essential to adopt a proper step for the registration of a patent.
In Protectia, official agency of Industrial Property, we have an exhaustively experience and a great team of professionals specialized in every aspect of the matter. They will be able to assess the specific needs of every single case and adjust it to the different ways and international agreements, in order to guarantee our clients quality assessment and efficient management throughout all the process of registration and defence of the patent.
Patent registration in El Salvador: the process
The administrative authority of industrial property in El Salvador, which has, among others, the responsibility to register patents of inventions is the National Registration Centre (CNR, in Spanish).
The average processing time in El Salvador usually is 36 months, and follows various steps:
- Filing of the application to the CNR, complete with all the necessary documentation and the payment of the respective fees.
- Formal examination. Within approximately 1 month, the CNR shall undertake a formal review of the documents, proving that the application is clear and correctly presented.
- A report is issued within 9 months: official’s opinion that values the three requirements for patentability and leave the applicant two options: appeal it, or rather rethink everything and present another patent, considering that there is secret until the publication.
- Publication, within 18 months from the application date. It is to be noted that is possible to decide to withdraw the application before it is published, in which case will still remain secret. The publication opens a 60 days term for filing oppositions and observations.
- Substantive examination. Once achieved the deadline for filing objections, the test about patentability requirements is performed, as long as the applicant requires it within 6 months from the publication and pay the respective fee.
- Granting of the patent. After having passed the substantive examination, the granting will be published.
Would you like to register a patent in El Salvador?CONTACT US
The rights granted with a patent in El Salvador are valid for a non-extendible period of 20 years; besides, during the 20 years of the patent life, annual payments for its maintenance must be done.
Why choosing Protectia for the registration of a patent in El Salvador?
In Protectia we make a difference for various reasons:
- Personal treatment: we support our clients in a completely personalized way throughout all the process of registration, from the application, defence and monitoring to the granting of the patent.
- Legal advice and patentability study: In Protectia, as a prior step and part of our advice, we always recommend our clients to perform a preliminary study of patentability, essential to detect the existence of prior rights and to be sure that the invention meets the all the requirements to be patented.
- Resources and experience: we have powerful informatics resources along with the expertise of our professional, ideals to advise, develop and manage the protection of inventions in El Salvador.