Patent Registration in Ecuador – Patenting Products or Inventions.Francesca Mandolini2019-04-19T06:19:50+00:00
When it comes to protect in the right way both the new technical solutions and any kind of invention, it is essential to adopt a proper step for the registration of a patent.
In Protectia, official agency of Industrial Property, we have an exhaustively experience and a great team of professionals specialized in every aspect of the matter. They will be able to assess the specific needs of every single case and adjust it to the different ways and international agreements, in order to guarantee our clients quality assessment and efficient management throughout all the process of registration and defence of the patent.
Patent registration in Ecuador: the process
The administrative authority of industrial property in Ecuador, which has, among others, the responsibility to register patents of inventions is the Ecuadorian Institute of Intellectual Property (IEPI, in Spanish).
The procedure to register a patent in Ecuador has the following steps:
- Filing of the application to the IEPI and payment of the maintenance fee for the first year.
- Formal examination. After the application, the Institute shall undertake a formal review of the documents, proving that the application is clear and correctly presented. If it does not meet the formal requirements, the applicant must rectify the documents within 2 months.
- Publication of the application within 18 months, which opens a period of 60 working days for oppositions. If oppositions are filed it opens a period to discussion; if there are no oppositions, the Institute shall conduct a final review deciding whether to grant or deny the patent application.
- Application for patentability examination. It has to be reminded that for the registration of a patent in Ecuador it’s necessary to request for this exam, which may be done within 6 months from the publication, even in case of oppositions.
- Substantive examination. It determines the patentability of the invention.
- Granting of the patent.
Would you like to register a patent in Ecuador?CONTACT US
The average duration for a patent process in Ecuador is 4 years and is valid for a non-extendible period of 20 years. Besides, during the 20 years, annual payments must be done for the maintenance of the patent´s rights.
Why choosing Protectia for the registration of a patent in Ecuador?
Our official agency of industrial property will be your key partner for the registration of a patent in Ecuador, due to three main features that distinguish us:
- Personal treatment: in Protectia we support our clients in a completely personalized way throughout all the process of registration.
- Legal advice and patentability study: In Protectia, as a prior step and part of our advice, we always recommend our clients to perform a preliminary study of patentability, essential to detect the existence of prior rights and to be sure that the invention meets the all the requirements to be patented.
- Resources and experience: we have powerful informatics resources along with the expertise of our professional, ideals to advise, develop and manage the protection of inventions in Ecuador.