One of the main benefits of Community Trademark is that allows the protection of a trademark with just one single filing in the 28 UE countries.
However, several countries have territories far from Europe, generally representing a legacy of a past colonial period.
To shed light about this matter, we are going to indicate those countries where emerge peculiarities with the geographical scope:
- Denmark: Greenland and the Faroe Island excluded. Therefore it is necessary to ensure protection through a national trademark of Denmark.
- Spain: including the Canary Island, Ceuta and Melilla.
- France: including Martinique, Guadeloupe, Reunion, Guyana. However, the following territories are not included: New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, French Polynesia, French Southern and Antarctic Territories, Mayotte. It will be necessary a French Trademark in order to be protected over there.
- Portugal: including the Azores and Madeira.
- UK: included Gibraltar. Channels Island and the Isle of Man are not included, requiring protection through a national UK trademark.
That is why it is highly recommended to periodically check the status of your trademark portfolio with a team of professionals, such as protectia, in order to receive advice about a proper regional management to be able to make the most of these valuable assets.