Patent Registration in Honduras – Patenting Products or Inventions.
An essential part of any business strategy is the need to protect Intellectual Property. Moreover, the benefits generated by the monopoly rights guaranteed through an action of patent registration might be very high, giving more security for the investments performed for investigation.
In Protectia we have an exhaustively experience and a great team of professionals specialized in every aspect of the matter. They will be able to assess the specific needs of every single case and adjust it to the different ways and international agreements, in order to guarantee our clients quality assessment and efficient management throughout all the process of registration and defence of the patent.
Patent registration in Honduras: the process
In Honduras the administrative authority of industrial property, which has, among others, the responsibility to register patents of inventions is the General Directorate of Intellectual Property of Honduras (DIGEPIH, in Spanish).
The procedure to register a patent in Honduras has the following steps:
- Filing of the application to the DIGEPIH complete with all the necessary documentation. The application and its attachment are confidential until the moment of publication.
- Formal examination, in order to prove that the application meets the requirements. In case of any omission or deficiency, the Office for the registration shall send a written notification to the applicant who, within 2 months, will have to make the necessary corrections.
- Publication on the Official Gazette within 18 months from the application. From this moment, a 90 days period for oppositions is opened.
- Within 6 months from the publication, it is necessary to apply for the examination of patentability.
- Substantive examination. Once achieved the deadline for filing objections and after the payment of the respective fees, a substantive examination is performed to determine the novelty of the invention.
- Granting of the patent, payment of the registration fees and issuance of the certificate of the patent registration.
Would you like to register a patent in Honduras?CONTACT US
The average time for a patent to be granted in Honduras is 3 years. Once is granted the patent will be valid for a non-extendible period of 20 years. Besides, during the 20 years, annual payments must be done for the maintenance of the patent´s rights.
Why choosing Protectia for the registration of a patent in Honduras?
In Protectia, official agency of Industrial Property, we have wide experience and a team of professionals and correspondents around the world that make our distinctive traits:
- Personal treatment: In Protectia we support our clients in a completely personalized way throughout all the process of patent registration, from the application, defence, monitoring to the granting.
- Legal advice and patentability study: In Protectia, as a prior step and part of our advice, we always recommend our clients to perform a preliminary study of patentability, essential to detect the existence of prior rights and to be sure that the invention meets the all the requirements to be patented.
- Resources and experience: Protectia will be your ideal partner for being highly specialized in the field. Besides, we have powerful informatics resources along with the expertise of our professional, essential to advise, develop and manage the protection of inventions in Honduras.