The major advantage of the Community Trade Mark (CTM) is that makes possible the uniform identification of products and services by your company throughout the European Union (EU).
A single application, in a single language filed before a single Office (Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM)) allows registering trademarks which will benefit from unitary protection and be fully applicable in every part of the Community.
It will ease the management of your trademark portfolio in the EU and it is a fast registration procedure (6-8 months), at a reasonable cost.
Keep in mind that use in one country is enough. Therefore, it can be the beginning for a future expansion of your business. The CTM opens the gate to a single and broad market with more than 500 million consumers, which is one of the largest and wealthiest markets in the world.
Therefore, it gives you a defensive position as it entitles you to prohibit third parties from using the registered CTM anywhere in the EU (the use must take place in the first 5 years of registration; otherwise it could be cancelled by a third party).
CTM. Essential functions
The CTM gives you 3 essential functions in European level:
- It identifies the origin of goods and services.
- Guarantees consistent quality through evidence of the company’s commitment to the consumer, and,
- Is a form of communication as a basis for publicity and advertising.
- Besides, it is the perfect link to other International Treaties in order to extend the protection worldwide. It is possible for a Community Trademark to serve as the basis for an International registration under the Madrid Protocol.
- The trade mark, as your most valuable asset, is of a personal property and may be sold, used as security or licensed.
In summary the advantages of the CTM are:
- Uniform identification of products and services by your company in Europe.
- 1 single application, 1 single language filed before 1 Office.
- Unitary protection applicable in every part of the Community.
- Easy to manage in your trademark portfolio.
- Fast registration procedure (6-8 months), at a reasonable cost.
- Use in one country is enough. The beginning for a future expansion of your business.
- Gate to a single and broad market of more than 500 million consumers.
- Perfect link to other International Treaties for future extension of the protection worldwide.
- Personal property and may be sold, used as security or licensed.
¿Are you interested in a CTM registration?